Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Let us begin with The Dreameater

Let me try and start at the beginning, long-ago sitting with a bunch of friends  started sketching ideas for a new steam punk gun. The basis the Nerf Maverick it had a very interesting look to it, somewhat bigger than life, but still reminiscent of the classic six shooter. And so I began to sketch, adding pipes, gears, pressurized steam cartridges, etched filigree, and even embellished trigger. The scheme was pretty straightforward breasts and copper with dark accents such as the etched black filigree and the leather like handle. here I share with you, the sketch.
 
After I was happy with my sketches to begin modifying the Nerf gun, first removing the air restrictors as to get more air to the darts. Second whole lot of cosmetic changes to the basic form, such as heavily modifying the barrel area. The trigger guard, and even the trigger itself. I took off most markings that were on the Nerf gunsuch is the name the n-strike logo of Nerf logo and various warnings,basically giving myself a clean slate. After working on it off and on just about a year.trying to find the perfect pieces to my puzzle. Everything from the brass pipes to the copper cartridge holders even pieces for my gauges, most of them came from things I had sitting around. After a long while of trying to get it right. I finally came up with something that I liked. Then asked my friends to help me name it. Finally, was born the Dreameater.


Ranges are pretty good considering stock is typically between 20'-25'
Ranges: 
Stock darts: 26'-39' Average 35'
Stephan's: 27'-42' Average 40'

And let us not forget the YouTube video that i just finished maybe 2 days ago and posted it and if you like it please visit my YouTube page comment, rate and subscribe as there will be more updates.



16 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I didn't see it in the video, but are the CO2 cartridges functional? That would make it perfect. I have a maverick crying out for modifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My question is simply, when will you market these?

    ReplyDelete
  3. good question :). If you would like one i do commissions otherwise subscribe, follow, like etc. one of my pages to get know when one goes up for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only one question, what kind of tint you used to paint it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. would like to know how you made the dials? as this is one thing i would love to add to mine when i get around to moding it

    ReplyDelete
  6. where did you get the gauges?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much would you sell one for, if I also gave you an unmodified Maverick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typically I put them up for auction when I finish one. They do take some time to make since they are not simple creations. Also, I rarely take a pre-owned Mavs considering to ship one to me would be almost the same cost as me running to the store and getting one.

      Delete
  8. I have to ask how did you cut out the barrels so you can see through the other side I want to do that to both my mavs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you take the barrel housing apart you'll realize it's three pieces. The piece that makes them look connected is actually just a cover that goes over the individual barrels. ^_^

      Delete
  9. That trigger is stunning! How on earth did you manage the quilling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience, and a couple failed attempts :). Basically using jewelry techniques.

      Delete
  10. I as so impressed with the look of this gun that I re created it in a 3D virtual world for all the virtual Steampunk people to use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How much!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!??!?!!??! i want it!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey professor, With your barrel can u make a tutorial on how to actually make the cylinders separate? that would be awesome as i am learing how to Mod/Steampunk nerf guns at this time. Thnx

    ReplyDelete